Cooking Classes

7.1.13

Cooking Class Monday - How to Clarify a Stock


It is a new year and a great time to start a new project. I introduce Cooking Class Mondays! Yeah! Each Monday I will share a cooking or kitchen technique. Often it will be simple and sometimes it will be more detailed. Are you prepared for this journey with me? I hope so. Here we go!

And if there are any bloggers out there that would like to join in, let me know. You don't have to commit every week but if you are in the mood and want to join in that would be awesome. It would be fun to have a Virtual Cooking School.  Or if you would like to guest post for my Cooking Class Monday, I would be honoured to feature you.


How to Clarify a Stock
An easy, however time consuming way to clarify stock, is to freeze it overnight. In the morning, place the frozen stock in a colander lined with 3 layers of cheesecloth and put in the refrigerator. When the stock freezes it creates a gelatin mass that acts as a filter as the stock melts. The ice also keeps the fat solid so that it does not cloud the stock. The result is a beautifully clear stock or consommé. This is called the gelatin filtration method of clarifying stock. It can be used for any type of meat or fish stock.

7 comments:

  1. I've never tried clarifying stock this way! I've done the egg shells and egg whites one - it's sometimes successful. My usual method is to just strain it thru 4 layers of cheesecloth and a fine mesh strainer. I'll try this next time. Great blog idea, the cooking classes. I'm looking forward to next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I happened onto this by accident and then research told me it was a bona fide way to clarify stock. Always feels good when the pros do it this way. I know, I have sporadic success with the raft method, too.

      Delete
  2. Je ne connaissais pas du tout.
    Merci pour cette astuce.
    See soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful to know! I plan on tuning in every Monday and soaking up all your knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I hope that I do not disappoint you! You know tons and love reading your blog.

      Delete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.