Cooking Classes

24.3.14

Scotch Eggs

Peeling eggs is one of the first things we learn in the kitchen. So I thought. I have been making pickled eggs for a friend that has a free range chicken operation. Please, don't give me all your tips on peeling eggs. I know them all. But these present a unique challenge. Is it the extra hard shell? Is it the extra strong inner membrane?

I felt like a complete failure in the simple task of peeling eggs.

We all know that stale eggs peel easier. We all know that the cooked eggs should be plunged into an ice bath until fully chilled. We all know that we should crack the blunt end of the egg and slip under the membrane. Using logic I can peel an egg.

Free range organic eggs are a whole other animal. Stale, chill, blunt crack and I am still not getting a clean peel. By chance I received a tip that changed my life. Use a spoon. So simple. Since I have been using a spoon to peel my eggs they are almost perfect. Tuck that tip in your recipe box.





Scotch Eggs




Scotch Eggs originated from a need for hearty travel food. I used a lean spiced pork sausage and panko bread crumbs. Use oil with a high smoke point such as canola or peanut oil.
4 eggs, boiled
3 large sausages, preferably a lean spicy Italian style
1 c. flour 250 mL
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 c. breadcrumbs 250 mL
Frying oil
Put eggs in pot and fill with cold water. Place on heat and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and cover. Let sit for 12 minutes. Then remove eggs to an ice water bath until fully chilled. 
Prepare the sausage by squeezing from casing and forming into 4 balls. Flatten each ball into a thin patty. Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs into separate bowls.
Peel eggs and dry thoroughly. Wrap each egg in sausage and pinch so there are no holes exposing the egg. Roll in flour, then egg and finally breadcrumbs.
Cook one or two at a time in oil heated to 350-375F in a deep pot. Turn occasionally if they are not totally submerged in oil. Fry until very browned. Remove and drain on paper towel lined plate. Serve hot or at room temperature. Serve with catsup, mustard or plain.
Prepare 3 dishes. One with flour, another with beaten egg and finally one with breadcrumbs. Meanwhile heat a pot of oil to 350-3750F.




4 comments:

  1. When mine don't want to peel, I run them under cold water and peel under the water. Hurts the hands if you're peeling more than a couple, though. I'll have to try your spoon trick.

    And while I've heard of Scotch eggs, I didn't know what they were. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marjie, that's what I do, too. These eggs had nearly unbreakable shells and very tough inner membranes that made them so difficult to peel. The spoon works very well. However, don't use a silver spoon. It tarnishes!

      Delete
  2. One thing you could also try if you're unhappy with the spoon method is to steam the eggs. Like you, I'd tried everything. Piercing, vinegar, baking soda, blah blah. Then I tried steaming. I steam my organic eggs for 12 minutes in a vegetable steamer basket in a stock pot. Ice bath after that for 5 minutes. Perfect peeling this past year I've been doing it. It changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spoon is working well but your steaming idea sounds great, too. I'll have to give it a go and see how it works with these eggs. Maybe it will also change my life! Thanks.

      Delete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.